Thursday, April 9, 2015

Whales, Hiking, and Milkshakes


Hey guys, sorry I took such a long break from blogging, I've been all kinds of busy lately.  I have a few posts from my second trip to California for you if you're not entirely sick of them yet!


Isn't my mom beautiful?
These pictures are from when we went on a whale watch (the second for my mom and I, but it was my brothers first).  


This time we saw two Grey Whales that were following the coast.


We also saw some Sea Lions swimming around.  The announcer told us that the sea lion was trying to warm up by sticking his fins out of the water in the sunshine.


It's so amazing seeing the whales in person.  They are surprisingly graceful and stunning for creatures of such immense size. 


The announcer on the boat said he thought we saw a mom and baby whale swimming side by side, we followed them around for quite a while.


It was a beautiful day for whale watching and much warmer than last time.


There were a lot of sailboats out on the water that day, I think they may have been setting up for a regatta or something.


My dad would have loved to see all of the boats out on the water, it was such a peaceful scene I felt like it should be on a postcard or in a magazine.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. 
Catch the trade winds in your sails. 
Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain


My brother may not look like he had much fun but I know he loved it, how could you not enjoy a boat ride on a nice day with the added bonus of seeing whales in person?


Another day we went to Crystal Cove State Park to hike.


It was a really warm day and we ended up hiking pretty far.  The view from the top of the mountains was stunning because you could see the ocean.


It had been raining off and on for a few weeks at that point and I could tell the plants were starting to look more green than the first time I was there.


The way the sun reflected off the water was beautiful and you could see a little beach town being bathed in the afternoon sunlight.




After our hike we went to a little restaurant called Ruby's Shake Shack and had some amazing milkshakes while looking out over the sunset.


The next night we went and got "make your own" pizza at an awesome restaurant called Pieology in celebration of my mom getting a new job.


It was an awesome start to our visit.  Up next I have a post about my Easter holiday but stay tuned for a few more posts about the rest of the trip!

1 comment: