Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Road to San Diego


This is the last post for my previous trip to California, but have no fear- I'll be taking lots of pictures on this trip too! (And hopefully I'll be better at uploading them in a timely manner.)


On one of our last full days in California, my Aunt and I drove to San Diego.  On our way we stopped at Torrey Pines State Park.


It was a beautiful grey day with huge waves that supposedly got as big as 10 ft tall.




Doesn't it seem to you
That the mind moves more freely
In the presence of that boundless expanse;
That the sight of the ocean
Elevates the soul and gives rise to
thoughts of the infinite and the ideal?
-Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary




Something about the sand and the way the tide pulled it across the shore made the most intricate patten with the dark and light sand on the beach.  I can honestly admit that nature never stops astounding me.


Also it was fun to see naturally rainbow colored rocks instead of your plain old earth tones for a change. (That's not to say I don't love earth tones, because I do, it's just fun to see some colorful rocks!)





After Torrey Pines we went to San Diego for a little while, one interesting thing we saw while walking around was this huge statue paying homage to the end of the war and what and the excitement that surrounded it.  The statue was right next to a huge battle ship and a few other statues commemorating the war.



Next we went to La Jolla cove to see the sea lions. 



On the way to see the sea lions we saw rocks that were covered in pelicans.  They smelled awful but they were prettier than I usually think of pelicans as being.


It was an absolute delight to see the sea lions.  They were so cute waddling around of the rocks and sleeping in packs.



When my mom told us to go see the sea lions I didn't expect there to be very many of them but there were so many at that cove.  There were big ones and little baby ones and they all were resting on the rocks.



It was really funny to see them come in from the water, they kind of just let the tide push them further and further onto the rock until they push themselves up on their flippers and waddle to where they want to be.




My Aunt and I stuck around for a long time, we wanted to see the sunset before driving back.



That was a wonderful day and I was so lucky to spend it with my Aunt Leigh.  I had a fantastic time on that trip and I can't wait to post about what I've been up to this time in California!

2 comments:

  1. Your photography is just outstanding! I really enjoyed being reminded of all the beauty we saw in California. Let's go back! What are you doing tomorrow? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and loooove the Flaubert quote!

    ReplyDelete